Location: Pulau Song Song and Tukun Terendak, Kedah
Camera: Canon G10 + Canon Casing
Strobe: Fantasea Single Nano Strobe Set
Post editing: PS CS3
No. of dives: 2
Pulau Song Song is situated about an hour slow boat ride to the west of Yan, Kedah, south west of Song Song there is a rocky outcrop called Tukun Terendak, we did our first dive there. To the south of Song Song there are another 2 islands, Pulau Telor and Pulau Bidan, we didn’t dive there, but I believe it would also be interesting to dive there too.
From Song Song we could see Gunung Jerai from the west, it looked gorgeous from that direction. There is this waterfall perhaps several hundred meter ASL, and at least a hundred meter tall that is visible even from Song song … I wonder what is that waterfall called? Batu Hampar?
My reason to go there:
Heard some good reviews from friends who have been there, I’m curious and of coz always happy to dive…
- As expected visibility was between 1m - 5m, I’m happy with it.
- A DIY trip, we rented our own tanks and boats, no DM.
- I love it when I have control over my dives, be able to stay at one place as long as I want and decide for myself the dive profile.
- Loads of flatheads, flounders, soles, mussels/clams, mantis shrimps, sea urchins and other unusual stuffs…..
- Although shallow, experienced divers will find diving here fascinating. Less experienced divers might not see what they came for as viz is low, good buoyancy is required to see things a lot closer than usual.
- Good size hard and soft corals around Tukun Terendak (from 6m to 1m).
- Harvesting pen shells from 3-4m of water(free diving) was fun but tiring.
- Pen shell sashimi with wasabii and shoyu source was out of the world!
- Water temperature 28c, comfortable.
- Great dive gang, although they were mostly strangers to me.
- Special thanks to 北马潜客diving group for arranging this trip AA non-profit trip and inviting me to join.
- I wish to go back to this place soon! Perhaps arrange my own AA non-profit trip and bring my good friends there.