Saturday 4 September 2010

Yangon, Myanmar

Shwedagon pagoda,a 2500 years old temple, looks like new, because it has been well maintained over time by monks and devotees, I waited until dusk, to see Shwedagon pagoda in a different perspective.

In longyi(Brumese sarong) and sitting at Shwedagon to feel what is it like to be at the holiest place in Myanmar, it was kind'f peaceful and clam there, very nice feeling. I can't believe this place is 2500 years old... it was amazing.
 
 
Date: 04 Sep 2010 - 18 Sep 2010
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Camera: Canon EOS 500D
Lens: Tokina AT-X 124 AF Pro DX 12-24mm f/4
Lens: Canon EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6 IS
Filter: none
Post editing: PS CS3
Trip schedule and details:
http://danlow.multiply.com/journal/item/91 Check this out if you plan to visit Myanmar, I have shared tonnes of goodies here.
he look ganas, the head monk of the group .. leading the way, must be an evil monk .... he look like an very powerful sorcerer :P :P


Yangon, the capital of Myanmar. To me this city is average size, I can walk the city center from end to end within 1 hour. There’s a lot to see here, certainly a lot to eat too. Street food is everywhere, some familiar some strange, I had my fair share of sampling some.
I was in Yangon for a day before travelling up to Mandalay. And another 2.5 days before the end of my journey.


Places of interest in Yangon includes the Shwedagon pagoda, which is holiest temple of all temples in Myanmar, it is 2500 years old, according to the records by Buddhist monks it was built before Lord Buddha died in 486 BC. Certainly a place worth visiting.
Sule Paya, or the Sule Pagoda is another very old temple, according to legend, it was built before the Shwedagon pagoda during the time of the Buddha making it more than 2,500 years old.


And the Bogyoke Aung San Market, known for its colonial architecture and inner cobblestone streets, the market is a major tourist destination, dominated by antique, Burmese handicraft and jewellery shops, art galleries, and clothing stores. Bogyoke Market is a popular black market location to exchange currency. The market also has a number of stores for local shoppers, selling medicine, foodstuffs, garments and foreign goods.
However most of my time in Yangon was spent walking around city streets, it was very interesting.


when I exchanged 200USD into Myanmar Kyat ... I don't know where to hide them, it was just too much to handle really ...
 
it cost USD3 to enter Sule Paya, well not really worth it as it is just a small temple. My advice is visit this one before visiting the others...
 
 

Things I like about Yangon:
- A lot of food
- A lot to see
- Highest exchange rate
- Shwedagon pagoda


Things I don't like about Yangon:
- Betel nut chewing - RED Saliva is generally spit out onto the floor, road, walking paths, everywhere.


SLIDESHOW

No comments:

Post a Comment